Keeping Your Home Free of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Fact Checked

Carbon monoxide poisoning is very common especially at home or in motor garages. This is a fatal situation because the gas is poisonous to the body. However, it is easier than thought to prevent this problem from occurring. Burning of fuel releases carbon monoxide and inhaling of this gas becomes dangerous because it replaces the oxygen in the body.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

carbon monoxide poisoning
Dealing with carbon monoxide poisoning

The first signs of the poisoning are similar to that of flu, but fever is not present. Some of the major symptoms include.

  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Abnormal breathing and
  • headache

If you develop these symptoms, and feel better when outside your house, but the symptoms reappear when you get back, you need to realize that you have carbon monoxide poisoning. In this case:

  • Get out of the house or car where the gas is present
  • Remain calm so that the oxygen in the body can be conserved. Note that in this particular time, the level of oxygen is low because it has been replaced by carbon monoxide in the body.
  • Get treatment as fast as you can whereby in the hospital you will be provided with oxygen therapy to boost the level of oxygen in the body.

How to Prevent the Poisoning

It is possible to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by following theses techniques.

  • Installation of at least a single smoke alarm on each level in your home or garage. This will help identify when there is a danger of smoke that may lead to the poisoning.
  • Ensure that appliances such as chimneys, vents are all working effectively and make sure they are not blocked. They need to be inspected even for rust every year to ensure that the gas escapes from the enclosed areas well.
  • Make sure that when fireplaces are in use, all the flues are open.
  • All your wood burning stoves should comply with the laid down regulations and meet the emission standards set.
  • Never try to use generators in crawl places or indoors.
  • Use the right fuel in space heaters.
  • Never at any one time use kitchen oven for heating your home as this may increase the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Charcoal and other grills should always be used outside the house.
  • Do not use paint removers that have methylene chloride especially when you have children around.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • All content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional