First Aid Renewals in Canada
First Aid renewals / re-certifications are designed for people that need to have current and valid first aid and CPR certification. Many workplaces and schools have policies in place that require students and employee’s to maintain first aid and CPR certification. The majority of providers offer renewal courses for candidates that are shorter and cheaper than retaking the original first aid course (register for a class here). This website is designed to help you understand the necessary prerequisites to take a re-certification course and the awards available for renewal / re-cert.
Prerequisites for First Aid Renewals / Re-Certifications
In order to be eligible for a re-certification course in Canada through the major providers candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must have completed a previous certification or renewal / re-certification course within the past 3 years.
- Candidates must have completed the previous course through a credible provider such as St Mark James, Lifesaving Society, Heart and Stroke Foundation or St. Johns Ambulance.*
- *Candidates in Ontario must have completed the previous certification course with a St Mark James provider.
- Participants in Ontario can not take consecutive re-certification courses.
- Candidates must have completed the previous course within Canada. Certificates are nationally accredited but not internationally. Certificates from outside of Canada will not be accepted for renewal / re-certification unless authorized by first aid provider.
First Aid Providers that offer Renewals / Re-Certifications
Not all major first aid and CPR providers offer renewal courses. The following major Canadian providers offer re-certification classes:
- St Mark James Training
- The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
- Vancouver First Aid Ltd.
The prerequisites for renewal courses for each of these providers varies slightly by province. The prerequisites stated above are for St Mark James re-certification courses. To register for renewal or full St Mark James first aid and / or CPR programs with one of our training partners located throughout Canada visit our locations page or click here for more information.
First Aid Courses Available for Renewals / Re-Certifications
Not all first aid certificates are available for re-certification. Out of the large number of basic first aid courses, only two first aid and CPR classes are available for re-certification (the number varies per province). Automated external defibrillator (AED) training is also included in the re-certification course. First aid, CPR and AED available renewal courses are:
- Standard First Aid, CPR and AED
- Standard childcare first aid, CPR and AED
Stand-alone CPR renewal courses are also available for candidates looking to renew only CPR certification. To view available CPR re-cert courses select the CPR renewal tab from the main menu.
For more information about our CPR renewal programs available through the major providers click here.
When candidates successfully complete a first aid renewal course they will receive a first aid, CPR and AED certificate that is valid for 3 years and nationally accredited. Candidates may be requested to renew certification at a sooner date based on employer or school policy.
First Aid Renewal / Re-Certification Cost:
The cost of a first aid re-certification course varies depending on provider and course. Renewal / re-cert courses vary from 60 dollars to 135 dollars.
First Aid Renewal Course Length:
First Aid, CPR and AED renewal courses range in length from 4 to 8 hours depending on training partner, provider and course instructor. St Mark James is the ideal provider of first aid and CPR renewal courses.